Thursday, October 1, 2009

Reflection 4

Because of what we learned in class this week (theorists and taxonomies of teaching) I've been thinking a lot about my high school psychology teacher Mrs. Leek. She was my favorite teacher and I never really could figure out why when I was in High School. Normally my favorite teacher would have been one that was super fun and really laid back. Mrs. Leek definitely wasn't that way and yet I still enjoyed learning everything that she taught us. Now that I know a little bit more about teaching I can see why she was so effective. As students, we always knew exactly what she expected from us. she had very high expectations and followed through with us to make sure we reached her expectations. any work that may have been busy work for other classes didn't feel like busy work for her class because we knew that she would build upon that basic information. Because we knew that the information was important to her we knew it should be important to us. The best thing I think she did though was constantly tell us how much she loved her job. Because she made that clear, it was easy to ask her questions in class and out of class. Teachers who didn't show that they liked their job or who simply didn't like their job were hard to talk to because I always felt like I was getting in thier way or that they didn't really care to help me. Because I knew Mrs. Leek cared, I had more motivation to do better.

That's the kind of teacher I want to be.

The teacher that I went and observed this week at the Provo Junior high was really soft spoken. I think that it's really important to make sure all your students can hear you because even if they look like they're paying attention they're not getting anything out of it. The students were engaged in the activity they were doing but it seemed that if they began to get out of control he wouldn't be able to stop them.

No comments:

Post a Comment