Thursday, September 17, 2009

Reflection 2

"All 0ur dreams can come true --- if we have the courage to persue them." --Walt Disney

One thing that Wong talked about that I think I really need to implement in my teaching is how important it is to give the student an objective. He says that "the basis for every test is the objective of the assignments." When the student or even the teacher has an objective then you have measurement, and when you have measurement you have performance. This is like Shum's lab assignment system with "Shum's challenge". we go through the worksheet and we really have to learn what we're doing because we know at the end we'll have to do "Shum's Challange" and have the teacher sign off on it. We have measurement and so we have to perform. I could easily implement this in my guitar teaching. Instead of just giving my students a treat for practicing five days I could give them a treat for reaching a certain point in a song or being able to play with the metronome at a certain pace. Then they would have a specific goal to practice for rather than just practicing to mark off that they did. That would hopefully boost their performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment